Code of Conduct
At NYXL, one of our highest priorities for officially hosted events and across our online communities is to be inclusive and welcoming to those of all backgrounds, as well as to celebrate and champion diversity. We are committed to providing a friendly and safe environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our events and community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. We encourage and invite all those who participate in NYXL’s communities – from our professional teams to our amateur events and competitions – to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
2. Expected Behavior
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all community members:
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Promote and exercise good sportsmanship.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
- In online communities, alert moderators/admins if you notice any behavior that’s in violation of this Code of Conduct.
- At community events, notify law enforcement/venue security if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that community event venues may be shared with other members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
3. Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or language supporting violence directed against another person.
- Offensive comments or direct personal insults including, but not limited to, to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, age, regional discrimination, political or religious affiliation.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, education, drugs, and employment.
- Advocating any form of cheating.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information (“doxing”).
- Sharing of intellectual property (music, movies, etc.) for download.
- Unwelcomed physical contact or any physical contact deemed inappropriate.
- Unwelcomed sexual engagement. This includes but is not limited to: sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and/or unwelcome sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community discourse or events.
- Using NYXL social media channels and forums to publicly accuse an individual or individuals in the community of violations. Violations should be reported to the appropriate individuals or organizations (covered below in Section 5).
4. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member will not be tolerated. Consequences for unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to:
- Escalating to law enforcement or other appropriate government authorities.
- A temporary or permanent ban from our online community.
- A temporary or permanent ban from our events and/or venues.
5. Reporting Guidelines
- If you are subject to or witness any suspicious activity or someone in distress, we urge you to notify law enforcement or venue security.
- If you are subject to or witness any unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify NYXL as soon as possible.
- You can report a violation as outlined above that was witnessed or experienced to email@example.com. All reports will be handled confidentially and with the utmost discretion.
- If a violation takes place at a live event, please notify law enforcement/venue security/venue staff as soon as possible.
6. Addressing Grievances
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a concise description of your grievance. The grievance will be reviewed and we’ll notify the reporter of a resolution.
- All community participants must abide by this Code of Conduct in all community venues–online and in-person–as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to community business.
- The code is not a rulebook or exhaustive, it serves to distill our common understanding of this community.